Tax Management India. Com
                        Law and Practice: A Digital eBook ...
TMI - Tax Management India. Com
Case Laws Acts Notifications Circulars Classification Forms SMS News Articles
D. Forum
What's New


Discussions Forum
Home Forum Goods and Services Tax - GST This
A Public Forum.
Anyone can participate to share knowledge.
We acknowledge the contributions of Experts/ Authors.

Submit new Issue / Query

← Previous Next →

GST on sale of Plant & Machinery, Goods and Services Tax - GST

Issue Id: - 116534
Dated: 13-7-2020
By:- Vartik Choksi
GST on sale of Plant & Machinery

  • Contents

The company was carrying on the business of manufacturing of chemicals and the majority of ITC was accrued at the time when the manufacturing was carried on. The majority of the ITC was availed through TRANS-1 (Due to huge Plant & Machinery purchased in Excise Regime). There after there are very few instances of sales in post GST era and hence the company has closed its operations in April 2019 and already paid GST on sale of Plant & Machinery by utilizing the balance lying in Electronic Credit Ledger. However still after utilizing the ITC, huge balance is still lying in the credit ledger. (mainly attributable to CENVAT Credit avalied pre-GST). The company has not canceled its GST Registration. During FY 2019-20 the company has rendered the services for marketing the goods and service income on which GST has been charged.

a. Whether balance lying in the Electronic Credit Ledger is required to be reversed? If yes, then under which section of CGST Act, the same is to be reversed

b. Whether the company can utilze the ITC lying in the Electronic Credit Leger against the GST payable on service income.

Thanks & Regards

Post Reply

Posts / Replies

Showing Replies 1 to 2 of 2 Records

1 Dated: 14-7-2020
By:- Rajagopalan Ranganathan


Only when you surrender your registration certificate for cancellation you have to reverse credit balance lying in your electronic credit ledger. Since you continue your business of supplying service you can utilize the credit balance available for discharging gst on the services supplied by you. Only action to be taken by you will be to amend your registration certificate indicating that you are supplier of service instead of manufacturer/supplier of goods. If you have registered for both supply of goods and service you can continue to do so without any amendment to registration certificate.

2 Dated: 15-7-2020
By:- Alkesh Jani


I agree with views expressed by our expert.


Post Reply

← Previous Next →

|| Home || About us || Feedback || Contact us || Disclaimer || Terms of Use || Privacy Policy || Database || Members || Refer Us ||

© [A unit of MS Knowledge Processing Pvt. Ltd.] All rights reserved.
|| Site Map - Recent || Site Map || ||